Through my reading I have, in an unplanned way, followed a great deal of his life. Much of what I have read has overlapped but each author gives his or her own view and helps fill in the gaps. The first book that I read, Mornings on Horseback
Last month I began reading The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America
Recently I finished what so far has been the most gripping, heartbreaking, and spellbinding story of Theodore Roosevelt. The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey

Reeling from this loss and betrayal, he decided to challenge himself, as he often did, to conquer not only something unknown, but also his own depression that resulted from the loss. The River of Doubt follows Roosevelt from a speaking tour in Brazil to the headwaters of the Rio da Dúvida (River of Doubt) to its end in the Amazon River. Along the way, Roosevelt, his son Kermit, Candido Rondon, the famed Brazilian explorer and officer, and many other men faced the perils of the river, the forest, and the frailty of humanity.
What began as a scientific exploration to map and chronicle a never before navigated river quickly became a 2 month fight for survival. The men faced bone, and canoe, crushing rapids in the river along with flesh eating fish and dangerous parasitic organisms. The jungle on either side of the river didn't offer much help either. Camouflaged in the lush green of the jungle were poisonous snakes and frogs, wild animals, and disease carrying mosquitoes. To add to the danger, the expedition is followed through much of their journey by a tribe of native Indians, armed with poison arrows and concealed by the jungle, ready to end the journey down the river. What began as a journey to explore the unknown and perhaps assuage the President's pride became the fight of his life and surly his darkest journey.
This book is not only an excellent story of the expedition but the author also weaves in a great deal of background information as well as scientific information that makes for an informative as well as entertaining read. I highly recommend The River of Doubt
No comments:
Post a Comment