Saturday, January 24, 2009

WAH Chap 1 - Gut Reaction

Questions from Wild at Heart Field Manual Chapter One.

You've read the first chapter in Wild at Heart - now dive me a gut reaction. What struck you? What stirred you, got your blood going? Did anything grab you, frustrate you, make you mad? What questions did it raise? Was there a major "aha!, " a revelation of some kind? What did it make you want to do? Don't bother to edit your thoughts here. And don't try to make them sound "spiritual" or "manly" or whatever. Just be honest.

My "gut reaction" is WOW. This totally validates my deep desires of adventure. It brings to life my longing for the outdoors. Memories of running through my grandfather's woods and exploring his 300 acres come vividly to mind.

I also thought of the adventures my brothers and I had as boys at our own home in town. The basement of our house was a boy's dream. There was dad's workshop with the smell of gunpowder and sawdust. He had a Shopsmith and loaded his own shotgun shells. There were cabinets in the workshop that led to secret places underneath the stairs that to us were passageways to another world. The backyard too seemed gigantic back then. We dug for treasure in the sandbox and climbed the dogwood beside the swingset.

While reading this chapter I thought of how wild we used to be, whether exploring, riding bikes, lighting firecrakers, we were wild and adventurous. Then I wondered where all of that went. I wondered why now I play everything safe. Everything is soft, planned, precise, and risk-free. Where did it all go I cry from somewhere in the depths. I was frustrated that I had given up my love for hunting, hiking, building, and the rest for softness. That's the only word that comes to mind, softness. As Eldredge says, "The masculine heart needs a place where nothing is prefabricated, modular, nonfat, zip lock, franchised, on-line, microwavable. Where there is room for the soul. Where, finally, the geography around us corresponds to the geography of our heart." (WAH page 5). I want ruggedness. Good natured, playful, strong, ruggedness back. Where did it go?

What did it make me want to do? Scream, then get away. It made me want to hike, buy a new compound bow and take up deer hunting again. It made me want to spend 24 hours alone in the woods with nothing but the Bible and a gallon of water. It made me want to go after my heart. It made me want to rescue my heart and that is what I fully plan to do! (with God's grace and guidance)

No comments:

Post a Comment