Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Challenge

I took John Eldredge's advice and spent some time in prayer at the beginning of the year asking God for a word or theme for the year. The answer, although I'm still leery of it, was "challenge". I am not sure if this is going to be a challenging year or I am supposed to challenge myself or I am going to face a huge challenge. Since I am unsure, I will step out in faith and if I'm heading the wrong way God will show me. I feel a little bit like Saint Francis. He was told to "rebuild my Church" and thought God meant it literally with bricks and stones and so that is what he did only to find out God wanted something different, something greater.

I've decided to challenge myself, until further notice, in a couple of different ways - physically and spiritually. In August I'll be heading, God willing, to California for another trip with Wilderness Outreach. It is going to be a very challenging trip with a 20 mile hike with pack to our work site. I need to be ready physically. I also need to be ready spiritually.

I've decided to begin two 90 day programs to kick off this preparation. The first is a 90 day program called MAX Workouts. This program appeals to me because of the variety of exercise as well as the levels of difficulty. This is not your ordinary 2 hours of lifting weight in the gym. It is much shorter but more intense. It seems to be more natural as well. What I mean is that it uses more natural body positions, gravity, and full body exercises that burn lots of calories. For instance, you can burn calories doing military presses but if you incorporate a power lift with that press, using your entire body, you can move more muscles and burn more calories.

Another thing that appeals to me is the fact that it focuses on total body exercise and strength training. Too often I lift, feel buff, plateau and give up because I'm not challenged and I'm not increasing overall strength. Of course I'm not looking into body building. I want to gain strength, get rid of calories and weight, and become a bit more flexible. So, MAX Workouts is what I'll be trying for 90 days.

In addition to that program, I've decided to try reading the Bible in 90 days. Of course I won't be reading the entire thing but rather focusing on the 14 narrative books as outlined by Jeff Cavins in his Great Adventure Timeline program. I've gone through the program three times but never have I tried the 90 day reading list.

I am posting this post because I hope to chronicle my experience with both programs for the 90 days (I'll begin on February 1st). I'll let you know what I think of the exercise program as it progresses as well as any thoughts on the scripture that I'm reading.

If you are interested in joining me in either program, let me know. I can email you the 90 day Bible reading list. The MAX Workouts program is $39.95 with a 100% - 60 day money back guarantee. I hope it's a good program and not like some of the junk on the Internet but we'll see and if it isn't good I'll get my money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment